Sunday, March 16, 2008

Tutorial Tuesday - Dahlia Fold

Welcome to Sunflowers and Dragonflies Tutorial Tuesday. While researching for tutorial ideas, I came upon the Dahlia fold (thanks Pat) which is new-to-me. When I was scrapbooking with my Stamp Shack friends, Christine said she just did these at her monthly card party, and Jennifer and Kimmy said they have been wanting to do these. I turned to my trusty Splitcoast Stampers for directions, and I discovered they just did these cards in one of their challenges just three weeks ago. I guess I'm the last one in on this well kept secret.! I hope this tutorial is helpful to those of you in the same boat as me. Enjoy!



Punch eight circles out. If you have double-sided paper, this would be a perfect way to use it. Fold each circle in half in the manner shown in the photo to the left.









Hand drawn lines will serve as a guide for your folds. You do not have to draw lines. My lines are drawn for tutorial purposes. Make your first fold along dash lines.









Here you can see the right side has been folded. You will do the same for the left side.










Your dahlia is well on it's way, and you're almost finished.









Flip your piece over. The lines that you see is where you are next going to fold. Fold right on the line.









When you fold along the line as above, your edge will meet the centre.








Fold your other side over in the same manner. Your petal is now complete. Punch a circle and place your petals in a circular fashion.









Your Dahlia is now finished. Embellishment ideas: Prima flowers, buttons, chipboard.





Finished card.

13 comments:

Catherine said...

Beth, your card came out so pretty. I love Dahlia folds =)

K Hutchinson said...

This is gorgeous! You make it so easy! I tried this and did not do well! You rock my friend!

Cathy M said...

Awesome card. Your tutorial was so easy to follow. I've tried to make dahlia folds, but we're first step, I did last. I could never get it to work or look right. I'm trying it your way. Thanks

thimbles bobbins paper and ink said...

Beth! Thank you, thank you for such an easy to follow and understand tutorial. Your card is lovely and this is such a beautiful technique!

Jennifer :)

Primitive Seasons said...

Great technique and nice tutorial, but what size circles are you starting with?

pescbrico said...

Nice tutorial! :) I guess we were at the same time the same day! :) LOL

Debbie Olson said...

What a cool fold--thanks for sharing, Beth, and your card is lovely!

Kim said...

Beth, this is awesome! I have wanted to try this as well, but hadn't looked up how to even make them! Now I know, and am going to give this a try!! Thank you so much !

Pat Huntoon said...

LOL -- Great card -- glad you liked ONE of the ones we talked about -- you know what I mean : )

Anonymous said...

It's fantastic . I love folds , thank you very much for the tutorial !
:-)

Kerry D-C said...

Your finished card is lovely!

DeniseD said...

Thanks so much for showing the steps. Very cute! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing