Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Tutorial Tuesday - Alcohol Inks, Batik Mulberry Paper

As promised, here is part 2 of my alcohol ink tutorial. This technique calls for mulberry paper, but it does not have to be limited to just that type of paper; you can use homemade paper with skeleton leaves embedded right into the paper, as well as a variety of other papers. In today's tutorial I use white mulberry paper, but you can use pastel coloured paper. I am so lucky that Lasting Impressions, my local rubber stamp and scrapbook store, carries a huge selection of wonderful papers to experiment with. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me or leave a comment, and I will be happy to help you out.

















SUPPLIES:
Mulberry, or handmade paper
Versamark ink pad
Clear embossing powder
Heat embosser
Stamps

Stamp image with Versamark and then coat with clear embossing powder.
Heat embossing powder, being careful not to singe mulberry paper.
Alcohol inks can be dripped into stamp pad lids, or a palatte.
Dampen mulberry paper with a spray mist, or lighly under tap.
Use a dampened sponge brush to transfer the alcohol ink onto the mulberry paper.
This technique is not limited to painting your ink onto your mulberry paper; you also drip it directly from the bottle.


Let your paper dry completely.
Place your mulberry paper between paper and iron to take off the shine of the clear embossing powder. It is important to use plain paper, and not newsprint, because the words will transfer from paper to mulberry paper. Iron should be on a heat setting without steam.


A sea of mulberry papers ready to be transformed into cards, tags, and other items.


When you are ready to create your card, glue the mulberry paper onto white cardstock. Using white cardstock will help to make a big impact in areas that do not have alcohol ink on it. Use a sponge brush and lightly cover your cardstock with white glue. Flatten out your mulberry paper as best as you can. A brayer is helpful in this process.


Here are two examples of how I used my mulberry paper.

Please let me know if you try this technique. I would love to post your cards on my blog. You can e-mail me your attachment, or leave a comment in this post, or the shaving cream post. Good luck!

23 comments:

Penny said...

Fantastic tutorial Beth! Thank -you, I hadn't thought of using alcohol inks and mulberry paper together.

Sharon in NE said...

Love your tutorials. This is so creative and so perfect with the autumn colors. Good job.

K Hutchinson said...

I really want to give this a try! Your's looking super duper cool! I have never used AI with mulberry paper- you are the queen of AI!

Thanks for the inspiration!

pescbrico said...

Thanks for your tutorial! I will try it I just don't know when! :)
But I will!

Alex said...

What a great tutorial - love the results! You have a great blog - I found yours from you posting to mine and have now saved you :-) Thanks for posting and good luck on the blog candy!

Anonymous said...

You have such a lovely cards in your blog and thank you for the instructions in these cards :)

Unknown said...

WOW!
That looks amazing and your instructions are wonderful, thanks for the details!
Just terrific!

Michele Kovack said...

This is soooo cool...I wish I were this creative!

Dawn Easton said...

Beautiful job! My upline did this for Convention Swaps this year and they were nice. Love what you did with yours. Off to get some supplies to do this now! Thanks!

Jovita @ Inky Impressions said...

Beth thank you for the great tutorial... I'm going to try this, I love the look of the fall colors. Thanks for sharing ~ Jovi

marja said...

thanks beth for you great tutorial!!!!
I love the autumn colors!!!!

Stacy Sheldon said...

that is such a fabulous background Beth!
The colors are so brilliantly Fall!

Rose Ann said...

Great tutorial, and your cards are beautiful!! Perfect for the season!!

scrappinnuts said...

Love your tutorials...I have printed them out and started a folder just for them...Thank you. Terry

Tami Bayer said...

Gorgeous backgrounds with this technique. Thanks for the step by step tutorial...pictures speak a thousand words.

mum-on-the-run said...

Wow, that looks amazing!!

Love your card too :)

Heather P. said...

What a GREAT tutorial!

Ila said...

This is Fabulous! I am going on holidays for a few weeks soon...but when I get back I'm going to try this...Thanks Beth!!

Anonymous said...

Your blog is amazing, I'm just speechless, but I'm Finn ;-D

Risa said...

I really love the effects....very cool Beth!

Scrappy Moments said...

Wow, what a great tutorial, Beaitiful cards. I may need to try this technique, the results are Gorgous.

Great Blog too :) I am a first time visitor :)

Angie
www.scrapnmomsmoments.blogspot.com

Corie said...

Wow absolutely stunning.

Rebecca said...

I have some of both of these, but never thought to do something like this with them. That's why I like my visits here. You always have something creative to offer.