Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Tutorial Tuesday - Perfect Pearls

Good Morning. Tutorials will now be posted on Tuesdays because I like the sound of "Tutorial Tuesday." Don't you? I will do my best to post tutorials on a weekly basis. If you have any suggestions as to what tutorial you would like me to post, please leave me a comment, or e-mail me, and I will do my best to accomodate your request.

This first photo is an example of how your card can look so different just by the colour you chose to use. Painting on black cardstock will give you different results than if you painted on white cardstock. In today's tutorial, I will be using black cardstock, and a stamp specific to this technique. Images do not have to be specific for this technique, as you see with the sunflower cards, but my tutorial is designed for the stamp mentioned above.


















If you want an exact colour on your card, you should do a colour chart like the one in this photo. As stated earlier, colour often goes on different than what appears in the jar, although it is hard to tell because of the flash of the camera. The one good example, I would like to point out, is the pink--left row, third down. Can you see that the colour appears pink in the jar, but when painted onto black cardstock, it turns out purple-blue.






SUPPLIES FOR PROJECT
Stamp with distinct lines separating different areas of image (see photo below)
Perfect Pearls and/or Pearl-Ex powders
Versa Mark
Embossing powder
Heat embosser
Fine paint brush/water
Paper cutter
Palatte & paper towel




Using black embossing powder, emboss your image onto black cardstock. As you can see, there are detailed lines separating the different areas in the image. This stamp is perfect for this technique.




Look at your stamp to determine what colour you would like to start with, and put that colour on your palatte. GENTLY dip your brush into the water and then your powder. Do not just slap your brush right into your colour; results will be disaterous. Gently place your brush on the outside parameter of your colour, making a pulling motion. A small amount of powder will then be made. Redip your brush into the water and lightly blot onto paper towel. Now you can generously place your brush in the area that was separated from the main "blob" of colour. Continue in this fashion until you have your first area covered.




First colour has been added to this image.













Second and third colours have been added to this image. You don't have to limit your colours to what you have on hand. Play. Experiment by mixing two colours to create a new colour, or a streaky look. To do this, take a little amount of one colour with your wet brush and lightly dip into another colour and blend, adding more water as desired. You can blend these right on your palatte, or a scrap of paper. Don't be afraid to experiment.









Continue as above, until all areas are filled in. Finish by spraying a fixative to prevent smudging (found at craft stores).














Finish off your card as desired. I tend to not add embellishments to this style of card because it looks like a piece of "art." If I do add embellishments, it is very minimal, as seen in the sunflower examples above.

Good luck with this tutorial. Please let me see your finished card using this technique.

20 comments:

Swamp Tulip said...

Great tutorial. I love this technique but I have never taken the time to figure it out! Thanks for motivating me :)

Teresa

scrappinnuts said...

Love this...thank you...will need tobuy perfect pearls now. Would love to see one on alcohol inks.

Tami Bayer said...

This is amazing. I've never seen them used this way and you really chose vibrant colors. Ok, now I need more perfect pearls.

Far North said...

Love this look!...I will need to pull out the PP and give it a try!
...Jan

pescbrico said...

Thank you so much for showing us this technique! It's just awesome!The difference between using a black cardstock and a white one is really intersting to see! Thanks for sharing!

K Hutchinson said...

OMG- I'm in total awww...this is so neat! What a great tutorial! I will have to schedule time to try this out! I love the look of it!

~K

Unknown said...

I just bought some Pearl Ex and other than dabbing on to a Versamark stamped image, I didn't know what to do with it. I didn't know I could paint with them. Thanks for the tutorial!

Donna said...

Looks fantastic! Great tutorial!

Maria said...

Oh wow Beth! Your card is absolutely stunning! I have Perfect Pearls but my cards never came out as beautiful as yours! Wonderful tutorial. . .very well written! Great job!

Maria

Christi Flores said...

Awesome tutorial! Thank you so much for your sweet comment on my blog. The encouragement is nice when you're new to scrapping. I will definitely keep up with your blog. Your work is amazing!

Anonymous said...

This is a great tutorial. I've never tried this technique. I have the Perfect Pearls so must make the time to try it! Thanks again!

Alhambra Club said...

OMG, this is awesome, your cards and coloring is awesome, thanks for the tutorial

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the lesson. This is great!! I will have to go shopping now.

Shannon McGann said...

What fabulous cards, and a great tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing this information - I've learned a lot! Your blog is great!

Tandra said...

GREAT tutorial! What a beautiful blog you have!! You header is stunning!!
Thanks for your comment on my blog!

Sharon in NE said...

Thank you Beth! This was incredible! You made it so easy to follow yet I am so in awe of how it all looks! This tutorial is a keeper. Thanks again!!!

Ila said...

Wow! This is great.. I'm bookmarking this to try later. Thanks so much Beth for taking the time to create this tutorial.

emilia in Taiwan said...

This is so great! I will try this out during the weekend!
Thank you for sharing!

Penny said...

Fabulous tutorial and pictures Beth! I missed this while I was away but glad I found it. I am going to give this a try.

Kaz said...

what a brilliant tutorial, thanks for that, I love my perfect pearls, but haven't tried this with them. Have to thank Penny for linking you too!! :o)