Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Tutorial Tuesday - Faux Palate Knife With Cracked Glass Technique

Gentle as a Falling Leaf

Good morning. Before my mom and I go out for a walk (I'm signing myself up at the Y; I really need to lose weight!), I thought I would upload today's tutorial which was inspired by my dad's love for oil painting with a palate knife. My dad was a beautiful painter. One of his paintings is hanging up in my hallway. What I love about this particular painting is that he managed to paint a beautiful image using only a palate knife. The clean drag marks of the palate knife is so refreshing. Anyway, onto business.


Supplies:
Variety of chalk stamp pads (I did not end up using the white one as shown in the photo)
Versamark pad
Variety of stamps
1 - 6 1/2 x 5 light coloured cardstock
1 - 5 1/2 x 4 1/8 dark coloured cardstock
Ultra Thick embossing enamel
Heat embosser

With stamp pad in hand, drag your stamp pad onto your cardstock. Be sure to drag in a variety of directions. The outcome reminds me of watching my dad oil paint using just a palate knife. I really love the look of dragged straight edges.
Randomly stamp all over cardstock.
Distress the edges of the image. Lightly place light coloured stamp pad on top of your image for more distressing.
Cut cardstock into 1" strips.
Evenly space your strips onto dark coloured cardstock and trim around edges as necessary.
Stamp edges of coordinating cardstock.
Mount cardstock with strips onto light coloured cardstock.
Stamp leaf image onto white cardstock and cut out with an exacto knife.
Place image directly onto Versa Mark pad and sprinkle Ultra Thick embossing enamel onto leaf.
Heat emboss. Repeat embossing two more times. A three layer thickness is perfect for the cracked glass technique. To achieve a cracked glass look, place your embossed images into the freezer for about 5 minutes. Take out of freezer and bend your images. Cracks will appear on your image.
You are now ready to finish your card. I mounted two leaves onto the upper left corner, with glue dots. Next, I stamped sentiment and mounted it behind a metal oval. The metal was held in place with fibre.

I hope you like this technique. Let me know if you try it out. If you send me a link, or e-mail a photo, I would love to add it to my blog for viewers to see. Good luck with your card!

18 comments:

Alex said...

This is beautiful Beth! I would love to try this - once all my supplies are unpacked and put away in CA - LOL! Love this! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

Anonymous said...

You are the Queen of techniques! And the result is beautiful! And...I love the Christmas Card from your previous post!

xxxMarieke

pescbrico said...

I like that very much! Thanks for sharing with us!

Penny said...

Lovely effect on the leaves Beth. Fantastic card!

Maria said...

Thank you for the tutorial Beth! Awesome techniques. I love all your techniques!

Your card turned out beautifully. I really love the layout! Great job!!

Maria

Terry Richey said...

I absolutely love this idea! So glad I found your blog. I am going to add this card to my list of things to try and will certainly post my results at my blog and/or email you a copy. Thanks for sharing!

Risa said...

Your card is just beautiful Beth! I love your tutorials because they are so easy to follow.
Malieta:)

K Hutchinson said...

Holey smokes this is cool! I love the cracked glass on the leaves...they look so real! Cracked glass is one of my favorite techniques!

Ana Wohlfahrt said...

AWESOME tutorial!! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Barbara said...

what a lovely idea! thanks for tutorial!

Renée Storch said...

Beautiful card. I love this technique and will definitely have to try it!

michelle sturgeon said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for the tutorial!

Michelle B said...

Beth, great tutorial! I will definitely be trying this one! Love the card!

Inky Hugs,
Michelle

Jovita @ Inky Impressions said...

Beth I like the cracked glass technique, but I've never thought of doing it with a cut out image... omg, those cut out leaves are perfect. Great job on the tutorial... nice easy to follow along instructions.

Walking is great for you, since we got our dog I've taken off some lbs just taking him for daily walks! :)

Kim Burmeister said...

Beth, I absolutely love this! What a great idea to use the cracked glass technique on the leaves. GORGEOUS! I might have to try this sometime, since I like leaves so much. Thanks for the inspiration!

Kim

Thanh Vo said...

Ahh... I love tuesdays at your blog ;)

Scrappy Moments said...

what a wonderful technique, I will try this. Great Tutorial Beth :) I should make some for Thanksgiving :)

Angie

Anonymous said...

Amazing card!