Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Tutorial Tuesday - Jacob's Ladder Christmas Card & Gift Card Holder

Good morning. Today's tutorial came about by my need to make Christmas presents for my four nephews. This two panel Jacob's ladder will amaze the recipient when they open it up. When it is opened like a book, the gift card is on one side, and when it is opened from the back cover, the gift card magically appears on the opposite side. I'm a grown up and I still get tickled when I play around with it, so I can imagine how young children will feel. And the best part? It's hand made with TLC.

Supplies:

2 - Mat board cut into 4" x 4"
2 - Paper of choice cut into 4" x 4"
3 - 8" lengths of double sided ribbon
pencil
eraser
double sided tape
glue stick


Mat board 1F - pattern side up
Decorative paper 2 F - wrong side up
Mat board 1 B - wrong side up
Decorative paper 2 B - wrong side up

Draw lines on the wrong side of the paper 3/4" in from the top and bottom, and at the 2" mid way point.

Using 1 B, lay wrong side up and lay ribbons as shown. Glue with glue stick.

Take 1 F (cover) and glue the wrong side to wrong side. Set one is now complete.

Flip book over so the single piece of ribbon is situated to the left.

Place 2F wrong side up, to the right of finished set.

Glue ribbon to 2F. Trim ribbon.

Slip the remaining ribbons up through the slit in between the two sets as seen in this photo.

Fold the two ribbons over to the left.


Using double sided sticky tape, fold the ribbon from the left up over onto 2B, pulling taut. Next (not photographed), take double sided sticky tape and place it around the circumference of 2 B and sandwich the two wrong sides together.




Once you have sandwiched your ends together, this is what your Jacob's ladder will look like.



You are now ready to decorate the outer edges as desired. Because these are for Christmas, I turned them into Christmas cards. Do you recognize Crab & Co decorated up as Sandy Claws?

This cute snowman, by Hero Arts, is paired up with die cuts from my Cricut (And I said I'd never use the machine. Good thing Donnie doesn't listen to me).

This tutorial was a challenge to put together. How can we make up for this? Please leave a comment with a link to your card, or e-mail a copy. I really would like to see at least one person try this out. Please? Call it an early Christmas present.

11 comments:

K Hutchinson said...

Oh my heaven and stars...these turned out great. It might have been a pain in the butt but the results are awesome! I have had this on my to try this for a long time- I hope to have time to try this! Beth, these really are stunning!

Terry Richey said...

Okay, I like this idea and I also need a cute way to send gift cards to a neice and nephew. Maybe this question will answer itself as I make the card, but where do you put the gift card so that it is seen from being opened on either side?

Sandra Evertson said...

Oh, theses are wonderful!
You are Terrificly Talented!
Happy Holidays!
Sandra Evertson

Dawn♥ said...

Well isn't this the cutest little idea ever! Love the tutorial! So thanks for sharing!

Sharon in NE said...

You made it so clear. I've been intimidated by this one in the past, but you did a great job explaining this. Thank you!

Ila said...

I don't know if i will get time to make these in the near future...but I have to tell you it is a great tutorial..and your cards are Fabulous!! I am bookmarking the page. I am also glad to see you using the Cricut..My husband bought me one for X-mas and I have to tell you I was sort of this way and that about it. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet ...and He Actually said I Could!!...(probably knew I wouldn't have time befor Xmas anyway..lol).

Risa said...

These cards are awesome and the idea is a winner Beth!
malieta:)

Joan said...

I am cracking up at the crab santa. Too cute. Your tutorial is great. I am always too lazy to do complicated stuff, but this one looks awesome. TFS

BrendaLea, the Prpldy said...

I will definitely have to give this a try. My younger Grandson had a wallet like this but I never took the time to figure out how to create one, even though I wanted to. So THANK YOU for creating this tutorial.

Barsan said...

Costa Rica Manuel Antonio Rafting,

Costa Rica Kayaking,

خدمات منزلية said...

شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالجبيل
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالقطيف
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالخبر
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالاحساء
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالقصيم
شركة مكافحة حشرات ببريدة
شركة مكافحة حشرات بعنيزة