Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Waterfall Tutorial

I love fun cards, and the waterfall card is just that--and more! Don't be fooled into thinking this card is too complicated. I believe that the numerous photos will aid you in completing a wonderful card. There are so many options with the Waterfall technique. I chose to use a children's theme, as there just isn't enough ideas for "kid" cards out in blogland. My background paper works well with these "hand drawn" stamps from Stamp'n Up because the circles are hand drawn and scribbled, as well. Please let me know what you think of this tutorial. Take a photo of your Waterfall card and e-mail me an attachment, or leave a comment with a link to your blog, and I will post your card to share with my readers. Now, go have fun!


For the best results, please use high quality cardstock . Cut out the following:









1- Standard card 5 ½” x 4 ¼” (from a 5 ½” x 8 ½” piece of white cardstock)
1- 1” x 4 ¼ “ Brad Strip (Red)
1- 5 ½” x 4 ¼” Layering Piece (Red)
1- 5 ¼” x 4” Layering Piece (Patterned Paper)
1- 1 ¾” x 8 ½” Waterfall Strip (Red)
3- 2¼” x 2 ¼” Squares (Red)
3- 2" x 2" Squares (White)
1- Tab (Red) (*not shown in photo)

Stamp images onto your white squares, and colour your images. In my example, I used watercolour pencil crayons and blended with brush & water

Layer your patterned paper on top of the red cardstock

Add the red strip, measuring in 1” from the right side of the card. Mount brads ½ inch from top and bottom of card

Mount the top layer of your matted patterned paper, to the top of your white card

Mount images onto red matting

Score the waterfall strip at 1 ¾, 2 ¾, and 3 ¾. There will be an area of 4 ¾ remaining

There is 4” of space for you to add a sentiment or a picture. Add the image of your choice, ensuring you only use 4” measured from the right

Flip your waterfall strip over so that the score lines are on the right hand side

Add your first image, on the first score line, as shown in the photo

Add your second image, on the second score line, as shown in the photo

Add your third image, on the third score line, as shown in the photo

Fold your waterfall strip in half and slip it under the verticle paper held with brads

Add a tab at pull end of waterfall strip

Waterfall at work

Waterfall at work

Front view of finished card

TIPS FOR SUCCESS
1. Use high quality cardstock to maintain the shape of your card.
2. Mount your images onto waterfall strip with sticky tabs, and once you are certain that your card placement is correct, take the images off and adhere more securely with a tough bondable adhesive such as glue dots or double sided tape.
3. If you don’t have a tab punch, add an eyelit to the end of your waterfall strip, and place ribbon or fibre through the eyelit which will allow you to pull out the waterfall strip.

14 comments:

marja said...

thanks beth for this Waterfall Tutorial Card!!!!!
It's a beautiful card beth!

thimbles bobbins paper and ink said...

Beth, this is such a wonderful waterfall card and your tutorial is just perfect! So easy to understand and follow. I just love this waterfall card.

Lori said...

Your instructions are excellent Beth! Thanks so much for posting the link on ink-stains!

Jovita @ Inky Impressions said...

Great tutorial Beth and your card is too cute. :)

Far North said...

Great Tutorial Beth! Wonderful instructions!

Sharon in NE said...

Adorable! Great tutorial. This is a keeper!

Peggy said...

excellent! Very cute cards. I haven't done one of these in a while.... I'm inspired! Great tutorial!!

Corie said...

Just so cute -- thanks for the tutorial.

Risa said...

This is so clever..and the tutorial really helps! I am going to try this one at home. I love it!

Donna said...

Thanks for sharing this, the instructions and the photos are great!

Stacy Sheldon said...

those step by step photos make this look like its an fairly easy to acomplish...???

Thanks for putting this one together Beth!

Jean McKenzie said...

Hello Beth, I always admire the work on your blog and thank you for all your tips and tutorials!! Here is my waterfall card!!
http://jeanmckenzie.blogspot.com

Cheers from Down Under

Michelle said...

This is a great card. I just heard about it from another cardmaker after she made one and sent it to me. Thank you Lori for the card and thank you Sunflowers and Dragonflies for this tutorial :)

Blake & Lillianna's Mummy said...

Thank you SOOO much for this tutorial!! I am a new CTMH consultant and am trying to get some "examples" done before my first party.. and I just made this card.. it's AWESOME!!!!! I'd post a picture.. but I don't know how!!! LoL.... Thanks again!!!