Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Tutorial Tuesday - Golden Gel Transfer

It's Tutorial Tuesday, once again, at Sunflowers and Dragonflies. There are a couple of ladies on Splitcoast Stampers who are anxiously awaiting today's Golden gel transfer tutorial. There is a wide range of pictures that can be used with this technique. Dover Publications has awesome copyright free images. If you sign up for their newsletter, you get free images sent along with each newsletter. You can use photos, images from the web, and even something printed off in Word.

I hope this tutorial leaves you filled with inspiration. If you do a transfer, link me up. I'd love to see what you did.



Supplies:

Image (shown here is a Dover book with coloured pictures)
sponge stick
Golden gel medium















Golden gel medium is used for this tutorial.












Photocopy your image on an ink jet printer.















Trim your edges to the size of your coaster. Another option is to tear the edges for a unique look.











Sponge on an even layer of Golden gel medium. Cover the entire surface of your picture. Let dry completely (approx 30 minutes) before adding layer 2. Once dry, ad layer 3.









Continue adding coats 3, 4 and 5. Dry between each coat. Let dry completely (about 3 hours)before moving to the next step.












Dip your fingers into water and gently rub off paper backing.













Continue to dip your fingers into the water and rub off the paper backing.












All the rubbing has been finished.












You can see from this photo that the gel transfer is paper thin.













Spread a layer of gel medium over your coaster and place the image on top.












Place your image on top of the coaster and brush one or two coats of gel medium on top. Once dry, spray protection over top.















This is a painting that I did. In the bottom right hand corner you will see a large area where I did a gel transfer. This demonstrates that no item is too large to make this transfer successful.




Close-up of my gel transfer. If you are going to do a transfer using words, you must transpose it backwards in your Word program prior to printing. If you do not, your words will end up backwards.





10 comments:

Kimmy said...

I am so glad you posted this tutorial. I remember you telling me about it when you showed me your paintin. I don't know when I will try it but it sure is a beautiful look.

K Hutchinson said...

WOW Bethie! This is an awesome tutorial I have never done a gel transfer this way!

I also take something from a magazine or laser copier put Golden's acrylic ground for pastels on top of the image and place it down on the surface I want it to go on (ie-canvas). Let it dry over night and rub it off with a little water like you did!

I love love love your poppy piece it is gorgeous!

Alex said...

Wow, Beth, Awesome tute, girl!!! I would like to see the finished santa though.....heheeheee! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

Anonymous said...

I came in here googling for post it note covers,and i stay for a while;) So many fantastic cards you have made, lots of inspiration for me, i like your style!! Lots of wishes from Norway

Penny said...

Oh wow, great tutorial! I really like the transparent look of transfers, not something I have tried.... yet!

Anonymous said...

Wow Beth this looks cool and easy enough for me to try!!Thanks for the tutorial!!

Ila said...

Wonderful Tutorial Beth..I never thought this could be done with an injet copier...Yay!!..will have to try this.

wwilloww said...

Great technique Beth!! I must be the dummy cuz at first I couldn't understand why you would put layer and layer of gel medium on it, while it was on the coaster, and then take it off, only to put it back on the coaster...LOL...honestly sometimes I don't believe me!!! You were just cutting to size the piece to be transferred!! Whew!! Now I am going to go give it a try!!! Thanks for sharing this! Willow

Maria said...

Holy! That product is so, so cool! I never heard of it but wow, I'm amazed. I love it! Thanks for opening my eyes to something new and so cool!!

maria

Godelieve said...

Thanks for the fabulous tutorial Beth. I have the gel medium, but haven't tried it yet...